While not much is known about Molech, the fact that offerings are made to him, the fact that his name gets a capital letter, tells me this is some sort of deity, and not just a non-threatening wooden idol of Terah.
- If you give your children to Molech, you will be stoned
- Notice that the punishment is not meted out by Jehovah, only by the Israelites who stone him.
- Why can’t Jehovah directly interact with the people the way he did in Genesis?
- If anyone knows but ignores/conceals/looks away from the man who gives his children to Moloch and do not kill him, then that man AND his family will be cut off
- If you go to those with spirits, wizards, you will be cut off
- If you curse your parents, you will be put to death
- Committing adultery with your relatives or your neighbor’s wife all guilty parties will be put to death
- Homosexual men who lay with other men are to be put to death
- If a man sleeps with his wife AND her mother, they are to BURNT to death
- Why the distinction with fire in this case, versus stoning?
- If a man lays with a beast, the man and beast are to be put to death
- I can’t imagine there would be a case where the beast was nothing more than an unwilling participant in this event
- However, considering beasts are what are sacrificed as offerings, I can see why the beast would be considered for death as well.
- UNLESS! We are talking about another “beast” type creature/hybrid
- If a woman lays with a beast, they both die
- If a man sleeps with a woman who is unclean due to her period “he hath discovered her fountain” and they are to be cut off
- Many more incest based commandments, some repeat, some more detailed.
I still get a sense that much of this can go back to the Genesis 6 “wickedness”.
Lastly, in case it wasn’t clear:
Leviticus 20:27 – A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.
How many thousands of innocent lives have been taken over the past 2,000 years, just for being ACCUSED of being a witch/wizard/having familiar spirits? The text is very lacking in details, on just what a wizard of familiar spirit are, which leaves interpretation up to the people at the time, who then justify THEIR TRANSLATION to murder other people. Even false accusations, as we learned in Salem, led to trials of death regardless of innocence or guilt.
This is why I say the Bible is incomplete as a moral compass, especially in regards to laws and punishments. When you leave it up to interpretation of a corrupt mankind, these laws punish the innocent and allay the guilty.
Can we add up all the innocent dead killed throughout history, because these commandments were incomplete and vague, to the Jehovah body count?
Besides, where in the world did these people get the power to become wizards, or the use of familiar spirits? I know, I know… modern Christians say: THE DEVIL!
But the text does not say that at this point. In fact, I’ve made the argument, complete with verse that proves it to be true, that the good AND evil at this point in the Bible come from one source only: Jehovah.
And even he is incomplete, scattered, incorrect, and contradictory to his own words and actions. And you want me to believe the Bible is infallible and applicable to the world today?